Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Summer at NLC

I have had one of the most amazing summers yet. A summer full of character building, new friendships, strengthening old friendships, discovering new things about my self, growing closer to God, humbling experiences, hilarious moments, quotable talks, and memories that I will never forget. I have spent my summer working at New Life Camp. I grew up going to NLC for a week every summer, starting when I was nine years old, along with my brothers and sister. I always loved the staff there..I looked up to them, and thought they were just great. Well this year, I had the opportunity to work on this Staff, and it blessed my socks off. Living there for 1 week of orientation, 6 weeks of overnight camp, and then working 2 weeks of day camp, I wouldn't re-do a single day. I wasn't a counselor but was on Service Staff for the 9 weeks. Though I would of rather been a counselor, God knew exactly what he was doing when he put me as a service staff member. I washed dishes, cleaned bathrooms, and took trash out..but you know what? It was all Awesome. not because those jobs are awesome, but because I got to serve others through those jobs. I was able to serve the counselors, while they poured into their kids. I was able live and work with my sister for 2 weeks before she moved to TN. I was able to work with one of my best friends for 2 weeks as we protected our cabin from killer beetles. I was able to get to know campers from all cabins, and spend time with them. I was able to create new friendships with other non counselor staff. But the best of all was that I was able to serve God through all of this.
I finish up working on Friday, and it's going to be really hard to say goodbye to people as they all head back to school. I am extremely thankful for the 9 weeks I was given at New Life Camp. I don't know what God has for me next summer, but all I know is that the 2011 NLC Staff will always have a special place in my heart.

No comments: